- firstname.lastname@example.org or use our Contact Us form.
- You can send us mail, via USPS only, to P.O. Box 470, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706.
- Customer Service Hours: Monday-Sunday 9am-5pm USA Eastern Standard Time.
Our Brand & Coffee
- Yes, we are proud to be the first US coffee roaster to offer coffee grown in Taiwan and hand-roasted in New York. That's our only focus, to provide the best of Taiwan coffee.
What does "Formosa" mean?
- Formosa means "Beautiful Island" in Portuguese. Around 1543, Portuguese sailors cruised passed the uncharted island, was enamored by its beauty, and named it "IIha Formosa". The name Formosa was widely used until the early 20th century.
Why "The Formosa Coffee"?
- It was not an easy process. You would think choosing a brand name is simple and quick. Well, we went through countless iterations. Settling on "The Formosa Coffee" just felt right as it perfectly captures our brand and product: exotic, beautifully roasted, and refreshingly unique.
What is so unique about your coffee?
- You can read more about our coffee here. We are the only coffee roaster in the US that focuses exclusively on Taiwan coffee. We control the entire quality-chain from bean procurement directly from farms in Taiwan to roasting, packaging, and shipping in New York, USA.
Do you really "hand-roast" your coffee?
- Absolutely. Every bag is hand-roasted in New York.
How fresh is your coffee?
- As fresh as coffee will ever be from roast to delivery. Once we receive your order, our roast master hand-picks the freshest beans and ensures your order is prepared and roasted within 24-hours of packaging and shipping. We take Freshness & Quality Guaranteed seriously.
Where are the coffee beans from?
- We use 100% Arabica beans sourced directly from coffee farms located on the central Taiwan mountain range at an altitude of 3,500-4,000ft.
Do you outsource any of the production?
- No. 100% of our product is stored, roasted, packaged, and customer serviced in-house by The Formosa Coffee personnel.
I can't find your coffee on Amazon, why?
- Simply put, we do not compete on price. Amazon is a marketplace where buying decisions are mainly made around price. Our coffee does not fit in such an environment. What we do offer is a unique and exclusive product found no where else except here. That is how we ensure that our customers can enjoy the best buying experience. Plus, by not using Amazon as a fulfillment channel, we can provide the best end-to-end user experience from customer service to delivery. Our ethos is quality over quantity.
Do you have a physical store or location to buy and pickup orders?
- No, our coffee is only sold online. We do have plans in place to have our own brick-and-mortar shops in the future.
Are your coffee bags resealable?
- Yes, we only use bags with resealable zippers and one-way gas valves to allow the beans to "breathe" (degas) efficiently, and keep moisture and air out. Our bags are designed to be air tight and keeps the beans fresh longer.
Do you re-sell other brands or contract roast?
- Neither. We are a roaster with our own brand. We do not re-sell other brands nor roast for other brands under contract.
How many cups can I brew with your coffee?
- 8oz bag brews up to 20 US 8oz cups.
How much caffeine is in each roast level?
- Light Roast = most caffeine.
- Medium Roast = balanced.
- Dark Roast = least caffeine.
- Espresso: 1:2-1:4 (Brew time 20-30 sec).
- Cold Brew: 1:3-1:6 (Brew time 14-24 hrs).
- French Press: 1:14-1:16 (Brew time 4 mins).
- Drip: 1:15-1:17 (Brew time 4 mins).
- Pour-Over: 1:16-1:18 (Brew time 3-4 mins).
Note: ratio 1:15 means for every 1 gram of coffee, use 15 ml of water.
Brew type...Try this roast:
- Espresso: medium, dark.
- Cold Brew: light, medium, dark.
- French Press: medium, dark.
- Drip: light, medium, dark.
- Pour-Over: light, medium, dark.
How long can I store coffee?
- Whole bean usually lasts longer than ground bean.
- In room temperature and kept moisture-free, freshly roasted coffee will stay at peak quality for up to 2 weeks (ground) and 4 weeks (whole).
- This is our recommendation for maximum freshness: whether whole or ground, for best flavor and aroma, consume your coffee within 2 weeks.
- Frozen coffee can be stored for up to 6 months (we don't recommend this).
Can I freeze roasted coffee?
- Yes, we just don't recommend it.
- Our coffee should be consumed within 2 weeks and stored at room temperature free from moisture.
- To freeze, place the beans in an air tight container to keep moisture out. There is no guarantee that the roasted beans will taste the same after being frozen.
- For the best flavor and to prevent moisture build up, thaw frozen coffee beans at room temperature before using.
How to tell if coffee beans have gone bad?
- Roasted coffee is a dry good. Meaning, it can be stored without spoiling as long as it's kept dry in the original bag or air tight container.
- Remember, moisture can quickly ruin coffee.
- Look for signs of mold, visual changes or if there's something wrong with the smell.
- Long-term storage will weaken the flavor, aroma, and quality of coffee beans. We define "long-term" as over 2 weeks for ground beans and 4 weeks for whole beans.
Order, Shipping & Delivery
Is shipping free?
- FREE Shipping on orders of $99 or more via USPS Priority Mail (1-3 business days). We use USPS for all shipping domestic and international. Our system automatically displays the available delivery options based on the customers address.
Do you charge a Handling Fee?
- No, we don't believe handling fees are necessary.
When will my order be shipped?
- Orders are usually shipped in 2-3 business days.
When will my order arrive?
- The most popular transit time is 2-3 business days via USPS (USA Domestic). You do have the option to choose your preferred shipping method at checkout.
Do you ship to P.O. Boxes, Military and Diplomatic addresses, International, and US Territories?
- Yes, except Ladakh, India. At this time we do not have the option with USPS to deliver to Ladakh, India. Please see our Shipping Policy for more info. All military and diplomatic addresses: APO/FPO/DPO's can only be shipped via USPS.
Can I track my shipment?
- Yes, we provide tracking with all of our orders.
Where do you ship from?
- We ship from Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706 USA.
Returns, Warranty, Refund & Taxes
What if I want to return my order due to change of mind?
We will happily accept returns due to change of mind as long as a request to return is received by us within 30 days of receipt of item and are returned to us in original packaging, unused and in resellable condition. Return shipping will be paid at the customers expense and will be required to arrange their own shipping. Once returns are received and accepted, refunds will be processed to the original form of payment. We will notify you once this has been completed through email. The Formosa Coffee will refund the value of the goods returned but will NOT refund the value of any shipping paid.
What is your warranty?
Please contact us at email@example.com for warranty claims. We will happily honor any valid warranty claims, provided a claim is submitted within 30 days of receipt of items. Customers will be required to pre-pay the return shipping, however we will reimburse you upon successful warranty claim. Upon return receipt of items for warranty claim, you can expect The Formosa Coffee to process your warranty claim within 7 days.
Once warranty claim is confirmed, you will receive the choice of:
(a) refund to your payment method.
(b) a replacement item sent to you (if stock is available).
What if I want to cancel my order?
- If you change your mind before you have received your order, we are able to accept cancellations at any time before the order has been dispatched. If an order has already been dispatched, please refer to our Refund Policy.
Where do I send my returns?
- Please e-mail us first regarding your desire to return at firstname.lastname@example.org. This is to ensure that we are aware and prepared to receive your return. You should mail your product to: P.O. Box 470, Hastings-on-Hudson NY 10706 USA. Please send your item via USPS only. You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund. Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary. If you are shipping an item over $75, you should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.
What if my order was damaged during transit?
- If you find a parcel is damaged in-transit, if possible, please reject the parcel from the courier and get in touch with our customer service at email@example.com. If the parcel has been delivered without you being present, please contact customer service with next steps.
- We will process a refund or replacement as soon as the courier has completed their investigation into the claim.
What if my order is lost in transit?
- We will process a refund or replacement as soon as the courier has conducted an investigation and deemed the parcel lost.
I'm ordering from outside of the US, who pays for any import duties and taxes?
- Import duties and taxes are the responsibility of the customer and not displayed at checkout.